A highly informal poll of readers of this blog finds they miss the news roundups, so, they’re back.
- Americans still apparently practice “shunning”.
- James Franco will star in a film about Allan Ginsburg’s “Howl”, perhaps making his life as an MFA student dovetail with his film career perfectly. Or not.
- Senator Ted Kennedy would like to remind you he is still alive, thanks.
- People imagining climate change will lead to “world beach party 4eva!” should read Lord Nicholas Stern’s evaluation of how it will usher in a long-standing global conflict over arable land and drinking water.
- America faces an “empty neighborhoods” crisis. Also homelessness. Hmm…
- Willing Davidson at Slate takes on the perennial question of why Hollywood makes crap out of great novels. I would just point out that I think TV does a better job, in a miniseries (see the BBC’s The Line of Beauty, for example). Novels are too large for two hours.
- Mayor Virg Bernero of Lansing is my new hero.