The Huffington Post reporst that the Intrade Prediction market has opened bets that Sarah Palin will withdraw from the GOP Ticket. They’re betting right now it’s an 18% chance. Why, you might ask?
- Time Magazine’s profile on her record as mayor of Wasila, which includes that she required the city managers to resign when she took office, as a loyalty test. In a town of 7000.
- The Washington Post’s Eugene Robinson points out that she is not anything like a reformer, and has misrepresented her record.
- Denies Global Warming while the North Pole becomes an island for the first time in history.
- New polls show McCain’s Palin choice has extended Obama’s post-convention bounce and not blunted it, as people get to know the real Sarah Palin and the real Obama on the same weekend. The Hotline/Diageo poll has Obama at 48% to McCain’s 39%. Obama’s lead over McCain doubled in that poll.
- Rasmussen, famously right-leaning, has reported Obama having the highest support ever in his bid for the presidency following the double-header of the Palin choice and his convention speech. He breaks the 50% line, with Obama at 51% to McCain at 45%, when the famous “leaners” are included.
- Republican Focus groups report finding Palin a gimmick, and are either unmoved or moved towards Obama.
- Bush and Cheney are alienated and enraged by McCain’s attempt to remove them from RNC.
That last one isn’t really about Palin but it’s good to know.
Also…she’s under state legislative investigation for an apparent vendetta against her former brother-in-law and the state police.
I would like to think that McCain hasnt’ got a chance, especially after this frankly insulting running mate choice. However, I would remind you that this county elected George W. Bush. Twice.
This whole sideshow just makes me laugh at this point, and I’m probably not going to stop laughing until I’m out of popcorn.
In an interesting change of scenery, I now go to a predominantly conservative school. You should’ve seen the faces of all the people who are speaking out for her now when she was first announced for the ticket. It was a priceless moment, you’d think they were watching an infant get clubbed.